The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) has published its latest list of the most stolen vehicles in Canada, a collection that proves the saying the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Following a trend that began in 2014, F-250 and F-350 versions of Ford’s Super Duty pickups occupy seven spots on 2016’s top 10 list. But this time, it’s joined by two new models that haven’t appeared in the top 10 in recent years — the Toyota 4Runner and Acura ZDX — along with the Cadillac Escalade, which was the only non-Ford F-Series on the 2015 most-stolen chart. Gone from the national list is the Honda Civic, a perennial favourite of car thieves according to the IBC’s pre-2015 most-stolen cars compilation.
While these are the most-stolen vehicles across Canada, the list varies province to province. For example, in Alberta (Canada’s Texas), the top 10 is all Ford Super Duty, all the time.
And as before, the Maritime provinces provide the most variety, with the list for Atlantic Canada being topped by the Cadillac Deville, Mini Cooper and Acura 1.7EL. Interestingly, there’s not a Ford pickup to be found down the rest of the chart, which also includes Ford Mustang GT and convertible models, Dodge Ram 2500, Nissan Maxima (in sixth and eighth spots), Jeep TJ and Chevrolet Impala.
Car thieves in Ontario and Quebec tended to go for SUVs in 2016. In Ontario, the Toyota 4Runner occupies the top two spots, followed by the Hummer H2. GM’s big SUVs appear four more times: the Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon twice, and the Cadillac Escalade and Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL each show up once. In the remaining three spots are a trio of upscale SUVs: the Lexus RX, Acura MDX and Land Rover Range Rover Sport.
Quebec’s collection isn’t that different. Here, the 4Runner appears five(!) times, the Lexus RX occupies three positions and the remaining two spots go to the BMW X5 and Infiniti JX35.
Unfortunately IBC separates out individual model years but doesn’t report on that stat at the province/territory level, so we see multiple make/models on the list without knowing which years are the most stolen.
IBC also doesn’t have stats for British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut or Yukon. The bureau compiles its most-stolen lists based on insurance claims filed across Canada.
The Canada wide list is:
1. 2007 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
2. 2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
3. 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
4. 2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
5. 2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
6. 2015 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
7. 2003 Cadillac Escalade 4-door 4WD SUV
8. 2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
9. 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
10. 2010 Acura ZDX 4-door AWD SUV
Latest posts by Chris Chase (see all)
- The CUbE Robo-Taxi Is Continental’s Vision For The Future Of Urban Transportation - July 21, 2017
- Evora GT430 The Most Powerful Road-Going Lotus Ever - July 20, 2017
- Watch Travis Pastrana Destroy a Hillclimb Course Record - July 19, 2017